Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Lincoln High School at West High School Tracy, CA

It has been a long time since I blogged so there is a lot to catch up on. My first game for the High School season football was at West with the visiting team being Lincoln. I always love the start of the season as the light is just right before the game starts and you can turn out some fantastic photos. I recently reduced how many bodies I carry with me since I do this as a part time gig while in school and interning but it does not stop me from following my first love of photography around.

The image above I used my 5d MarkII canon with my wide angle, 16-35mm 2.8 L series lens. As you can see the sun in the background setting gives you a good amount of dark areas but makes for some sweet shots.



The next couple are going to be different angles from the same area I shot these. Remember not to be shy and get close especially when it comes to high school. Even when I shot NFL games I pushed my limits. The way I see it, until some one has to say something ill keep doing it.

west high player stretching
I honestly was a bit nervous about covering this first game because it had been nearly a year since I covered one so I was running up and down the football field to make sure I can get what I could. I always find it funny though because I always notice how the other photographers can be lazy and just sit there looking at me like this crazy fat guy running around for no reason. I will tell you one thing...those photographers do not have the same photos as I do. I am not saying I am the best nor will I ever be. There are people out there a lot better than me and if as a photographer you remember that you will succeed in getting better photos because you strive to be that much better.


getting pumped up
This is a great example of what I am talking about...I sprinted across the field with camera gear strapped around my neck and rested on my shoulder just to be able to get this shot...I didn't get to fire off what I wanted to but my results were good because I got into the huddle.


running to the center of the field
Soon after they take the field and almost run me over :)


ball eyes view
There were a few stragglers still on the field as I made my way out to get the national anthem helmet raising as you will see and while walking back I saw this shot I had to take.


helmets in the air
helmets part 2
In American Football you usually have teams that raise their helmets to honor the national anthem every time it is sang before the game and can make for a good photo so it is always a good thing to look for that shot.

center field
Another thing to watch out is for the captains taking center field for the coin toss...this is sometimes hard to get if you get caught up getting the helmet shot...sometimes I have to sprint from the end-zone to the 50 yard line to try to get at least one of them taking center field.
And now to the Game Action....


coach screeming
Coaches can be fun to shoot at times especially when they are emotional...see ladies...we have emotions :)


sandwich

[/caption]
Always a good idea to get a shot or two of the quarterbacks. Sometimes games can be run heavy and all you have is photos of the running back.







As always I enjoy sports photography. These images were photographed for the Stockton Record.

No comments:

Become a fan on Facebook!